Cybersecurity in 6 easy steps
6 steps everyone can take now to better cybersecurity
With the end of Cybersecurity month upon us, it’s time to take a look at what you have done to increase awareness and secure your defenses. Cybersecurity is a major problem for businesses and consumers these days with millions of people becoming victims. Their personal and business data is exposed each year due to a breach in the company’s cybersecurity. In this guide, we will share the 6 simple steps which you can take now to better your own cybersecurity.
Let’s get started:
1. Always take precaution in dealing with the emails from unverified sources. Hackers often use these fake emails (phishing) to get the information they want from unsuspecting users. The rule of thumb is if an email looks unusual then it is most probably is. Please watch our video and read our blog post on how you can learn to spot a phishing email.
2. Always use strong passwords for your banking, Office365 and other sensitive accounts. A good practice is to always use a unique password. Never use personal details like your birthday, your loved one name or anyone. Also use two factor authentication if you want an extra layer of protection. We also know that it isn’t easy to remember every password these days, so we recommend you use password managers like LastPass to remember your passwords.
3. Always use anti-virus and a firewall on your computer. Windows and Mac OS have basic firewalls built in and are very effective against a cyber-attack. We would recommend for you to use Windows built-in Anti-Virus or Norton Anti-Virus to protect your computer. If you download applications from unauthorized sources, you should be very wary and scan the application with anti-virus and anti-malware software to make sure that your application has not been infected. According to stats, malware variants went up by 88% in 2017, we recommend using the free version of Malware Anti-Bytes to scan your computer if you think you are infected.
4. Always update your Operating System (OS) and other applications regularly, companies spend billions of dollars on developing measures to protect their products from cyber-attacks and they regularly update their products to protect and to remove any vulnerabilities. So, if you want to be on top up your cybersecurity then update your software!
5. When you visit any website make sure that it is secure. A good indication is to look for a “Lock Icon” in the address bar when you will click it will show you that whether the website is secure or not. If the website isn’t secure, don’t provide any personal information on the un-secure website. Click here to find out more about how you can secure your website with an SSL Certificate.
6. Always use the 2-Factor Authentication for your sensitive accounts, it will allow you to add an additional layer to your overall security and it will ensure the protection of your device even if someone knows your password.
You can take these 6 simple steps to improve your overall cybersecurity. Let us know what you think about these measures in the comment section below. Also, visit our website for more content.