Email Sextortion Scam Phishing Attempts Warning
Users have been reporting receiving an email sextortion scam that has been sent millions of email users. In the messages, the hackers claim to have taken over your computer and recorded you watching porn, with plans to release the footage unless you pay up, but the threat is a SCAM! Another variation of the email sextortion scam claims to have caught the email recipient having an extramarital affair. Hackers also try to lend the threat some added credibility by including an old password the email recipient once used. However the scammers don’t actually have access to your computer, nor do they have any idea if you watch porn. The hackers are simply trying to scare you into paying them money. This is why you should always avoid opening unsolicited emails. Click here to learn more about how to protect yourself from phishing attempts like this. To further protect yourself, consider covering your computer’s webcam when it’s not in use and take these 6 steps to better cybersecurity. Below you will find an example of one of these sextortion messages.
Email Sextortion Scam Example Email
Dear user of yourdomain.com!
I am a spyware software developer. Your account has been hacked by me in the summer of 2018. I understand that it is hard to believe, but here is my evidence:
• I sent you this email from your account.
• Password from account firstname.lastname@example.org: One of your compromised passwords will be displayed here.
NOTE: If you still use that password be sure to change it immediately!
• The hacking was carried out using a hardware vulnerability through which you went online (Cisco router, vulnerability CVE-2018-0296).
• I went around the security system in the router, installed an exploit there.
• When you went online, my exploit downloaded my malicious code (rootkit) to your device.
• This is driver software, I constantly updated it, so your antivirus is silent all time.
• Since then I have been following you (I can connect to your device via the VNC protocol).
• That is, I can see absolutely everything that you do, view and download your files and any data to yourself.
• I also have access to the camera on your device, and I periodically take photos and videos with you.
At the moment, I have harvested a solid dirt… on you…I saved all your email and chats from your messengers. I also saved the entire history of the sites you visit. I note that it is useless to change the passwords. My malware update passwords from your accounts every time.
I know what you like hard core (adult sites). Oh, yes .. I know your secret life, which you are hiding from everyone. Oh my God, what are your like… I saw THIS … Oh, you dirty naughty person … :)
I took photos and videos of your most passionate fun with adult content and synchronized them in real time with the image of your camera.
Believe it turned out very high quality!
So, to the business!
I’m sure you don’t want to show these files and visiting history to all your contacts.
Transfer $813 to my Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallet: 1Bt4psBJmjfVTcW6eYiJZ6HEbpFgKkBSX4
Just copy and paste the wallet number when transferring.
If you do not know how to do this – ask Google.
My system automatically recognizes the translation.
As soon as the specified amount is received, all your data will be destroyed from my server, and the rootkit will be automatically removed from your system.
Do not worry, I really will delete everything, since I am working; with many people who have fallen into your position.
You will only have to inform your provider about the vulnerabilities in the router so that other hackers will not use it.
Since opening this letter, you have 48 hours.
If funds not will be received, after the specified time has elapsed, the disk of your device will be formatted, and from my server will automatically send email and text messages to all your contacts with compromising material.
I advise you to remain prudent and not engage in nonsense (all files on my server).
Sample Email Sextortion Scam